16S/18S Binding Sites?

David Singleton dsingle at uga.cc.uga.edu
Mon Oct 20 00:05:47 EST 1997

   I am a graduate student in Microbiology using extracted _S. cerevisae_
DNA as part of a series of standard controls in dot-blot hybridizations,
and
have one (seemingly trivial) question.
   One of the oligo probes which I am using is described as "Universal",
and
it does indeed bind to yeast genomic DNA (as well as mitochondrial, I
assume).
In the literature the probe's specificity is for the 16S rRNA coding region
(E. coli numbering).  I am assuming that this particular sequence is
identical
to a similar region in the 18S rRNA region of yeast...(?)
   In any case, does anyone know how many binding sites in a single yeast
genome (approximately) would bind this probe assuming that it binds rRNA?
...or perhaps where I could discover this information?

   Thanks in advance.

   David Singleton
	  University of Georgia - Microbiology
	  dsingle at uga.cc.uga.edu