Neurospora crassa

Fred Kippert fkippert at srv0.bio.ed.ac.uk
Mon Oct 27 15:28:34 EST 1997

Pierre-Charles Romond <promond at ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> I am working on the neurospora crassa
> circadian rhythm modelling.
>
> I have two questions about Neurospora crassa.
> Does anyone know the period of neurospora cell
> cycle? Is there any known relationships between the
> circadian rhythm and the cell cycle?
>
> Thanks in advance.

The length of the cell cycle of Neuropora crassa is much shorter
than the circadian period. Under the conditions of most circadian
experiments it is probably around 3-4 hours, but can be as short as
1 hour. There is no published study on the relationship between
circadian clock and cell cycle in N.c. That circadian rhythms
occur in an organism which is growing so fast is probably the
exception  and constrasts the situation in other eukaryotes including
the yeasts S. pombe and S. cerevisiae.

Fred Kippert

_____________________________________

Fred Kippert
Yeast Chronobiology Lab
Institute of Cell, Animal and Population Biology
University of Edinburgh
West Mains Road
Edinburgh EH9 3JT
Scotland, UK