Neurospora crassa

Chuck Staben staben at pop.uky.edu
Thu Oct 30 00:10:39 EST 1997

I'm not an expert on the Neurospora cell cycle or on circadian rhythms.
Those interested might consult some of the recent work by JC Dunlap and J
Loros.

Cell cycle is actually a misnomer in many ways for syncitial organisms
like Neurospora, one really means nuclear cycle.

One comment on realtionship between growth rate and circadian rhythm:  I
thought a characteristic of circadian rhythms is that they were
growth-rate and temperature-compensated.  In my experience with fungi,
many grow fast, and most seem to have some types of rhythms.  These can
often be seen as "rings" on those forgotten LB or YPD plates in which a
contaminant fell in the middle and conidiated each day for about a week.