two hybrid question about N-glycosylation

klennon at acs.bu.edu klennon at acs.bu.edu
Thu Sep 25 07:30:54 EST 1997

Hi.

I have a question, possibly a naive one, regarding the yeast two hybrid
system. A colleague of mine is using this system currently, and one of the
proteins that she is interested in is heavily N-glycosylated. My question is,
since although the early steps in the biosynthesis of N-glycoproteins, in the
ER, are evolutionarily conserved, the later, processing steps that occur in
the Golgi are not. Doesn't that mean that most likely, this N-glycoprotein she
is interested in is not N-glycosylated in the yeast cells as it would be in
higher eukaryotes (it's a human protein)? As far as I know, she has done no
assays to determine how de-glycosylating this protein affects its structure or
function....couldn't this change in glycosylation alter the protein-protein
interactions she is testing for? Please enlighten me!

Thanks.

Kelley
BU Med Center