Sup. of Gal induction

Michael Forte forte at ohsu.EDU
Fri Apr 3 14:54:28 EST 1998

Hi,

We have been using gal promoters to regulate the expression of a toxic
protein.  Things work fine on plates, although they do not grow on
raffinose alone.  I have interpreted this as meaning that active
repression of the gal promoter by glucose is required.  However, cells
appear to be much sicker in liquid culture on glucose.  I am attributing
this as well to leaky expression from the gal promoter.  So, two
questions; 1 - why should there be a difference between liquid and plates
and 2 - is there a way to supersuppress the gal promoter?.  Thanks.

Mike Forte