summary: GeneFilters for differential expression in yeast

Stephanie GelQueen at aol.com
Mon Apr 27 07:01:28 EST 1998

Hi, I got only one answer from someone whose lab has used GeneFilters by
Research Genetics (www.resgen.com), and he (John S. Jacobs Anderson,
jacobs at azstarnet.com) indicated that his lab's experience with them was
less than positive.  The problem is that the filters are extremely
difficult to strip, which is serious because they need to be probed
sequentially in order to detect differential expression.  They tried a
number of increasingly harsh protocols but could not eliminate the
background, and were reduced to trying to subtract it out, making
interpretation of the results a nightmare.  ResGen's tech support was
apparently not particularly helpful either, a problem others have
encountered in the past.  Having said all of that, I have been unable to
identify another company that markets a similar product, and may be
"forced" to try GeneFilters myself;  I'll keep y'all posted if this
comes to pass.  In the meantime, please let me know if you have any
additional information regarding this product or any alternatives.
Thanks,
Steve Branda
brandass at biomed.med.yale.edu
NS 396 Yale University School of Medicine
New Haven, CT 06510
(203)737-4336