sodium azide and yeast inhibition

Deva deva at humboldt1.com
Thu Apr 30 06:04:27 EST 1998

I have found that when sodium azide is added to a culture of
Saccharomyces cervisiae, for about the first ten hours, there is no
difference in yeast growth from a culture grown without the sodium
azide added.  But after about ten hours, the yeast growth decreases.
I am wondering why it takes so long for the sodium azide to inhibit
the yeast enzymes.  I know it has something to do with the fact that
enzymes are proteins which have life spans, but I can't quite make the
connection.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!
Deva Freeborne
deva at humboldt1.com
http://www.humboldt1.com/~deva/wedding.html