tetrad dissection

Jim Withee withee at genome.stanford.edu
Wed Dec 16 15:57:03 EST 1998

Hi Carolyn,

You're right, the needle needs to be nearly completely flat.  I
faced the same problem for years.  This is what I used to do: Tape
15-20 fiber optic cables to a glass slide so that they are laying
side by side (ie NOT on top of eachother).  Take another glass
slide and use the edge to clip all the cables at once.  Now scan
all the cut cables under the scope and look for one that is really
really flat (ie not jagged).  Untape the fiber optic cables and use
a pair of tweezers to tease away the "perfect" needle.  If you
don't find a flat tip after the first cut, just leave the cables
taped down and clip all 20 again and rescan until you find a flat
one.

Yours,
Jim

 Jim Withee, Ph.D., Database Curator
 Saccharomyces Genome Database
 Stanford University Med. Ctr.
 Department of Genetics
 Stanford, CA 94305-5120 USA
 phone: (650)725-8956  fax: (650)723-7016
 e-mail:   yeast-curator at genome.stanford.edu
 WWW:   http://genome-www.stanford.edu/

I am looking for advise on tetrad dissection tools. I have made
several dissection tools for my Nikon dissection scope using a
glass rod and a piece of fiber optic cable that I cut with a razor
blade or scalpel. The tools pick up tetrads well but do not release
them efficiently.  The tips of the fiber optic cable are not
perfectly flat so I may be losing tetrads/spores in crevices in the
tip.

Are dissection tools commercially available?

Does anyone have advice on how to make tools with flat tips?

Please respond to me via email at cdecker at mail.wsu.edu.
Thankyou!
Carolyn Decker