tetrad dissection

Singer Instruments yeast at singerinst.co.uk
Wed Dec 16 08:24:04 EST 1998

In article <74rp80$421 at net.bio.net>, S L Forsburg
<nospamforsburg at salk.edu> writes
>Carolyn J. Decker (cdecker at mail.wsu.edu)
>> I am looking for advise on tetrad dissection tools. I have made several
>> dissection tools for my Nikon dissection scope using a glass rod and a
>> piece of fiber optic cable that I cut with a razor blade or scalpel. The
>> tools pick up tetrads well but do not release them efficiently. The tips
>> of the fiber optic cable are not perfectly flat so I may be losing
>> tetrads/spores in crevices in the tip.
>> Are dissection tools commercially available?
>> Does anyone have advice on how to make tools with flat tips?
>We also use a Nikon tetrad scope.  We purchased from Carl Singer a
>needle holder that mounts on the existing mechanical linkage,
>and several boxes of precut needles.  I accidentally broke the
> first needle I mounted, which I did not realize for a bit, because
>even broken,  *it still worked better* than hand-cut.
>Also, the needles last a good long time.  Definitely
>worth the investment for us!  In fact one of the students
>now claims doing tetrads is like playing a video game....
>I have no official connection with Singer Instruments, just
>a satisfied user.
Thanks for your kind words - Susan. If only I could get you to buy one
of my dissecting workststions for your students (with CCTV)- Paradise

As an aside, when I first started looking into making needles from glass
rod I asked everyone who used that method which glass they preferred.
The inevitable answer was "the stuff in the tube by the fridge" - it had
always been in the lab and nobody ever knew where it came from or what
the 'spec was.

Season's Greetings and Happy New Year to everyone.

Singer Instruments....a responsibility to science
Somerset TA23 0RE                             yeast at singerinst.co.uk
England                                  http://www.singerinst.co.uk
Tel:+44 1984 640226
Fax:+44 1984 641166