Mac molbio software recommendations?

Charles Brenner brenner at
Fri Jan 16 16:52:44 EST 1998

Dear bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts and bionet.molbio.yeast people,
    I've been using inadequate molbio software for too long and now have
the funds to get up to date.  Our applications are very broad:  from
assembling ABI sequence data, making/drawing maps and figures, planning
mol bio experiments, examining predicted protein data, keeping track of
inventories, etc.
    We would like to consolidate these applications into one or a small
number of packages to run on Macintosh computers. I would appreciate it
if people who have recommendations send me them by email (the name of
the program/package, the manufacturer, the academic price if known, what
it does, and why it is a good choice).  People who have financial ties
to these programs should indicate that as well.  If people send me this
information by email, I will summarize the results and post the results
to these two newsgroups.
    Many thanks!
Charlie Brenner
Charles Brenner                        Laboratory of Protein Structure
Assistant Professor                              and Cellular Function
Kimmel Cancer Institute                           phone (215) 503-4573
Thomas Jefferson University                         fax (215) 923-2117
233 S 10th St., rm. 826                mailto:brenner at
Philadelphia, PA 19107