pombe lactose gradients

Karen spink pdxkgs at pdn1.gene.nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jun 3 12:18:07 EST 1998

Help! I'm trying to synchronise a pombe culture for cell cycle studies by
using a 15ml lactose gradient. When I did this, i obtained a smear of cells
somewhere near the top of the gradient, then a further smear near the
bottom. As i was trying to retrieve cells in G2, I assumed that the top
band was the one to remove! However, when these were viewed under the
microscope, there were some obviously dividing cells, so something has gone
disasterously wrong! Does anyone have experience with this technique and
can anyone enlioghten me on what might be going wrong?
Thanks for your time

Karen spink