Discussion: can't we all get along?

Michael Leibowitz leibowitz at waksman.Rutgers.EDU
Tue Jun 23 09:04:48 EST 1998

Thanks, Susan, for standing up for the down-trodden yeasts.

I find many "lab yeast" folks also have little regard for our work on
Candida albicans and Pneumocystis carinii, yeasts which have no classical
genetics (in fact, Pc can't even be grown axenically), but which have many
interesting biological properties (non-universal code in Ca, single RDN
copy in Pc), not to mention the fact that both are medically important as
opportunistic pathogens.

On the other hand, my clinical colleagues sometimes have trouble
understanding why we do genetics in Saccharomyces, when these medically
important yeasts are "more relevant."

Unfortunately, many scientists choose their organism for their own
specific reasons and cannot understand why anyone would work on something
else.  When lots of scientists agree on these choices, fads develop that
effect peer review as well as social interactions.

Susan can be my "take a other yeast to lunch" partner any time!

Mike Leibowitz
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School