Non glucidic carbon sources for S. pombe

Carlos Gancedo cgancedo at
Tue Jun 30 07:49:31 EST 1998

Can any one help? I am generating  a P-glycerate mutase mutant from S.
pombe. However the growth of this mutant presents a problem. The mutant
needs to grow in two carbon sources: one " above" and another one "below"
the block. The corresponding S. cerevisiae mutant grows in mixtures of
glycerol and ethanol, but as far as I am aware S. pombe does not use
ethanol because of lack of the glycoxylate cycle. Can any one suggest
carbon sources entering at the level of pyruvate. I have tried pyruvate,
aspartate and malate with negative results. Thanks a lot for any suggestion
Carlos Gancedo