CYTb name change at SGD

Jim Withee withee at genome.stanford.edu
Fri Nov 20 16:14:54 EST 1998

I've been curating the gene CYTb, which encodes the
cytochrome b protein, and believe the standard Saccharomyces
Genome Database (SGD) name should be changed to COB.

1)  out of 106 references curated, 3 refer to the locus as CYTb
    and 103 refer to it as COB.

2)  YPD refers to the locus as COB.

3)  the gene is refered to as COB in most other organisms
    including higher plants and pombe.

This appears to be a case where community consensus has
determined that the standard SGD name should be changed.
If anyone has a strong objection to this change please write
me with your comments.  In any case, the name CYTb will
remain in the database as an alternate name.

 Jim Withee, Ph.D., Database Curator
 Saccharomyces Genome Database
 Stanford University Med. Ctr.
 Department of Genetics
 Stanford, CA 94305-5120 USA
 phone: (650)725-8956  fax: (650)723-7016
 e-mail:   yeast-curator at genome.stanford.edu
 WWW:   http://genome-www.stanford.edu/