RE. Splicing in pombe, pombeweb!

S L Forsburg nospamforsburg at salk.edu
Tue Sep 1 11:05:20 EST 1998

> Olafur S. Andresson (osa at rhi.hi.is)

> Is there any information on splicing specificity in S. pombe, i.e. does
> fision yeast process introns from Ascomycete genes (e.g. Aspergillus and
> Neurospora)?

That depends upon the sequences of the introns at cleavage and branch
sites.  Fission yeast is much less rigid than budding yeast about which
splicing consensus sequences it will use.  It certainly will
splice some introns from other eukaryotes.  For a very thorough review about
 splicing sequences in pombe, check out this paper:
Prabhala, G., Rosenberg, G. H., and Kaufer, N.
 F. (1992). Architectural features of pre-mRNA introns in the fission
yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Yeast 8, 171-182.

(If anyone knows of a more recent review, please let me know).

General plug for pombe portal:

Our site of information on S pombe
(http://pingu.salk.edu/~forsburg/lab.html)
includes references for plasmids, markers, and things like introns
(http://pingu.salk.edu/~forsburg/references.html).
And, if we don't have it, we can tell you where to find it:  our newest
page is a listing of pombe on the web, including other lab's pages,
meetings, protocols, and other info, including a link to the
Sanger pombe blast server and CSH pombe intron prediction program
(http://pingu.salk.edu/~forsburg/pombeweb.html)

--
-susan
S L Forsburg, PhD  forsburg at salk.edu