Homologous recombination in cerevisiae

Krasen Dimitrov krasen at u.washington.edu
Wed Mar 3 09:36:19 EST 1999

Hello everyone,

I wondered if anyone would have some information (precise or anecdotal)
on the homologous recombination frequencies in S.cerevisiae for the
purposes of gene replacement or plasmid integration. In my experience I
get about the same number of recombinant clones as the number of
transformants I get with a mere plasmid transformation. Does that mean
that once the DNA piece gets in the cell it recombines with a frequency
of  ~1.00 or that my plasmid transformation is less efficient than my
linear DNA transformation?

Thank you very much for your cooperation!
Best wishes,

Krassen Dimitrov, Ph.D.
Department of Molecular Biotechnology,
Box 357730,