pombe cell cycle

S L Forsburg nospamforsburg at salk.edu
Mon Mar 8 10:07:30 EST 1999

> sdpark (sdpark at plaza.snu.ac.kr) writes

> In addition, I would like to know the all the possible methods to arrest
> cell cycle in S. pombe. As well as the ones to stop the cell cycle at
> specific phases, like starvation of nutrients and use of mutants, I
> wonder if there is a way to stop or slow down cellular division
> randomly.
> Thank you.

Nutrient limitation, as opposed to starvation,  will slow down the cell
cycle.  For example, growth on a poor nitrogen source has effects on
overall cell growth.  A recent JCS paper from Erik Boye's lab discussed
these effects.  A couple of early papers from David Beach and others
discuss in detail the effects of starvation for particular nutrients
(glucose, sulfur, and nitrogen). Mutants, drugs (hydroxyurea,
nocadazole), and starvation can all be used to arrest the cycle at
specific points.  The cell also can respond with non-specific slowdown
or arrest to expression of toxic genes.

-susan
:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;
It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.