yeast 2 hybrid - NO POSITIVES

Elizabeth Vallen evallen1 at swarthmore.edu
Thu Mar 11 17:29:48 EST 1999

We have been using Phil James' 2hybrid library and yeast strain (described
in a Genetics paper about 1-2 years ago).  It sounded great in the paper.
The bait plasmid is a low copy TRP-based GAL4 DNA binding domain, the
library a LEU-based GAL4 DNA activation domain and the strain has three
different markers which report on two-hybrid activity.  We have screened
the library with 3 different baits and have not found any true positives
(we get out some positives, but none are plasmid-linked).  I was wondering
if anyone had had good luck with this library and system.  What GAL4
-activation domain libraries have been successful for you?   Please reply
by email if possible.

Thanks for your help,
Liz

Liz Vallen