(Fwd) Re: Determination of live yeast

Hui Cai hcai at ucla.edu
Tue Mar 16 11:46:46 EST 1999

Not sure if this would work for you...  the FUN-1 Dye will give different
fluorescence based on if the
cell is alive or not...  (red v. green).  This method requires a FACS type
device.  I think the dye is made by Molecular Probes.

Also, you could try Methylene Blue (I think I use .025% solution as a 10x
dye, I might be off by another factor of 10).  Live cells will reduce the
dye, dead cells will not.  So, 1 ul in 10ul of cells and then look at them
under a microscope
and count...