Cholesterol Inhibition in Saccharomyces and Candida

ian fairlamb eann at
Sun Oct 3 20:03:17 EST 1999

Can any one help me?
I am a synthetic organic chemist, testing cholesterol biosynthesis inhibitors.  We target the enzyme squalene synthase within the cholesterol biosynthetic pathway which block the formation of cholesterol and hence cell biosynthesis.  Can anyone give me any information of why yeasts are more susceptible to inhibition of cholesterol biosynthesis?  I see activity in candida albicans, saccharomyces cerevisiae and most interestingly shizosaccharomyces pombe.  For the latter my compounds are more potent.  I would really like to know more about the metabolic pathways present within yeasts and also whether they have any know mechanisms for breaking down foreign compounds/ molecules.
Many thanks, Ian

Ian Fairlamb

3 Disley Avenue, West Didsbury, Manchester, M20 1JU
Tel 0161 434 3881
Academic - I.Fairlamb at
World - eann2001 at
Home - eann at