Purification, chromatography, multimeric protein, yeast

biosci-request at net.bio.net biosci-request at net.bio.net
Thu Sep 9 20:33:37 EST 1999

Dear researchers:

We are trying to purificate a yeast produced multimeric recombinant
protein. After the cell disruption the protein of interest is located
in the pellet. Then it is washed with 1 % Triton X-100. The
extraction procedure uses 8M Urea in Tris 50 mM pH=9 and afterward
the sample is renaturalized. In this condition the protein sample is
stable. At this point the protein of interest is about 20 % of the
total protein presented here in. The theoretical calculated
isoelectric point (pI) of this protein is 11, but when we
precipitated by pH all of the total bulk protein precipitate at pH
4,5 to 5. Also we have assayed ion-exchange chromatography using
different matrices. In the following conditions: Tris 50mM Ph = 9
only in the anionic Q-Sepharose the entire protein sample was
absorbed while in the cationic ones such as S-Sepharose d
CM-Sepharose it was not absorbed at all. So the Q- Sepharose was
studied. At the above mentioned conditions the entire bulk of
proteins was absorbed to the matrix and the proteins were eluted at
increasing molarities of NaCl until 2M but the interested protein did
not elute. We assumed that it precipitated in the column. We decided
to prove increasing molarities of NaCl in the initial sample. Since
100 mM to 2,5 mM of NaCl in the initia sample was assayed. In all
cases the protein of interest together with the bulk of contaminating
proteins did not interact with the matrix. Only a little part of the
contaminating proteins were absorbed to the column and this not
necessary implied a signi cant improvement in the purity of the
protein of interest. In the same conditions (Tris 50 mM pH=9, NaCl
2.5 mM) we have tried to prove again cationic interchangers and not
protein was absorb at all.   We are wondering what are the possible
causes that in rfere with the absorbing process of the protein sample
at 2,5 mM of NaCl if at 0 M of NaCl almost all the protein is
absorbed?

Appreaciate all advice, Nelson
Juan Morales Grillo, PhD, Senior Research, Head,
Hepatitis C Department, Vaccines Division,
Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology.
PO Box 6162, ZP 10600
Cubanacan, Playa, Ciudad Habana, Cuba.
Fax: (53-7) 214764, 218070, 336008
Phone: 53-7-218466/218446/218164; ext 1626, 1194, 1424
E-mail: Juan.Morales at cigb.edu.cu

YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at net.bio.net