E. coli LacZ gene

news at news.net.uni-c.dk news at news.net.uni-c.dk
Fri Sep 10 08:21:13 EST 1999

Maybe the wildtype isn't the best reporter. Some kind of modified protein could
be better. The proposed LacZ from Promega could be the answer, but it is not
necessarily good, just because they sell it!!!!

biosci-request at net.bio.net, "Dr. Duncan Clark" wrote:

> In article <7r81o7$pt5 at net.bio.net>, biosci-request at net.bio.net writes
> >I want to use the E. coli LacZ gene as a reporter gene in S.
> >cerevisiae.  Does anybody have any ideas as to what strain of E.coli
> >is the best from which to PCR the complete gene?  It naturally must be
> >the functional gene.
>
> E.coli BL21, B, DH1, HB101 (lacY) spring to mind but basically the
> closest to wild type you can find. Alternatively just buy the lacZ
> (starts from 7th amino acid of wt lacZ) reporter vector Promega and PCR
> or subclone it from that. Cat. No. E1081, 20ug for UKP54.
>
> Duncan
> --
> The problem with being on the cutting edge is that you occasionally get
> sliced from time to time....
>
> Duncan Clark
> DNAmp Ltd.
> Tel: +44(0)1252376288
> FAX: +44(0)8701640382
> http://www.dnamp.com
> http://www.genesys.demon.co.uk

Troels Felding                                  (+45) 3327 5309
Carlsberg Research Laboratory       Fax:        (+45) 3327 4764
Department of Yeast Breeding        E-mail:     tfe at crc.dk
Gamle Carlsberg Vej 10
DK-2500 Copenhagen Valby
D E N M A R K