Elementary Yeast Info

Scott D. Pletcher pletcher at demogr.mpg.de
Wed Sep 29 09:35:56 EST 1999

Greetings all.
I am in the process of establishing a yeast (S. cerivisiae) laboratory
at the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research.  I have very
little background in yeast genetics (my PhD focussed on Drosophila), and
so I am a bit confused about how to obtain various genetic stocks, etc.

First of all, I would like to get some wild type strains (S288C) in
haploid (both mating types) and diploid (although I suppose I could just
mate the haploids).

Where do I find such strains?  I have searched ATCC and Euroscarf and
some other sites, but I can seem to find what I am searching for (they
all have _many_ different mutations).   If anyone has any advise for a
beginner, I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Scott D. Pletcher
Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research
Doberaner Strasse 114
D-18057 Rostock, Germany
Phone: (+49) 381 2081 164
Fax: (+49) 381 2081 464