Are pombe petites lethal?

S L Forsburg notmyaddress at
Sat Feb 5 14:53:33 EST 2000

Greetings, all.

I have a question regarding the respiratory pathway in fission yeast.  I
seem to recall that there is evidence that the respiratory chain is
essential for viability in fission yeast, not just for growth on
non-fermentable carbon sources, but I don't recall for sure. This would
be in contrast to budding yeast where respiratory genes are not
essential for growth on YPD. Am I remembering this correctly??  Can
someone with a better memory refresh me on this subject?

It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.
S L Forsburg, PhD  forsburg at
Molecular Biology and Virology Lab
The Salk Institute, La Jolla CA