SAGE tags

Aidan Weatherill aweather at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 17 08:58:04 EST 2000

I think I am being a bit dense and no doubt a literature search would
answer my question, but I am going to ask it anyway :-)

First I should say that I am a gene expression neophyte and I have not had
anything to do with sage tags before. I have skim read through Ve
velculescu's 1997 paper cell vol 88 243-351. But not the 1995 one (science
does not have the full paper on line and I have not been down to the
library yet ;-)

I will also scour www.sagenet.org once I post this, but a cursory glance
did not elucidate the answer.

OK then the question is

Where does the RNA for sage tags come from?

Mostly from the tRNA obviously. But if you look at
http://genome-www4.stanford.edu/cgi-
bin/SDEV/ORFMAP/ORFmap?chr=10&beg=116587&end=138650&sage=1

And the gene SSY5 which I have no interest in but as a random example and
there are lots like it.

It has a sage tag that corresponds to the non-coding strand and is unique
in the genome.

Where does it come from?

The next gene upstream is 10KB away, which seems long for RNA translation
run on.

Any thoughts welcome especially references!

Cheers

Aidan
---

YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at net.bio.net