Culturing yeast in 96-well plates

Majid Abedi Abedi at
Sun Mar 26 15:13:35 EST 2000

I'm trying to culture small volumes (100ul) of yeast in deep well microtiter
plates for a beta-gal assay. However, even at 300rpm the yeast settle when
grown overnight and I worry they are anaerobic. I've tried adding a glass
bead (4mm diameter) - this does stop the settling but now the yeast grow at
1/3 the rate of without beads. I'm stumped! I'd appreciate any suggestions
on an efficient to culture yeast in 96-well plates. Thanks.

YEAST bionet newsgroup see:
YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at
YEAST on the WWW: