Advice on DNA microarray results and metabolic effects

Aled Edwards aled.edwards at utoronto.ca
Mon May 15 13:00:46 EST 2000

We have performed a DNA microarray study of a strain deleted for a subunit
of RNA polymerase II
(compared to the wild-type parent).

Parent:   YF2221 (MATa ura3-52 his3-11 his3-15 leu2-3 leu2-112 ade2-1
can1-100 ssd1-d2 trp1::hisG-URA3-hisG)

Gene disruption:  YF2230 (MATa ura3-52 his3-11 his3-15 leu2-3 leu2-112
ade2-1 can1-100 ssd1-d2 trp1::hisG-URA3-hisG RPB9::HIS3)

The experiment was perfomed in YPD at 30 degrees and the cells were
harvested in early/mid log phase. The deletion strain grows slower (double
the doublig time)

To me,  the pattern of gene expression, which is statistically significant
(many repetitions), points to a general  effect on cellular metabolism
rather than a specific transcriptional defect.  However, I am not wise
enough  in the ways of science and yeast cell physiology to determine if
this is the case and, more exactly, what is this pattern telling us about
the cell's physiological state

The results (which can be seen in detail at
http://january.med.utoronto.ca/microarraydata) are that several
glycolytic enzymes are down-regulated, some aryl and alcohol dehydrogenases
are up,  and amino acid and nucleic acid biosynthetic genes are affected in
both ways: pyrimidine synthesis genes up, purine down. The expected
auxotrophic markers are affected.

If this makes sense to anyone, I'd appreciate hearing

Thanks

Aled Edwards

---

YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at net.bio.net