source for GAL4 antibodies?

Alex Brands abbrands at
Wed May 17 19:23:33 EST 2000

On 14 May 2000 philipp.pagel at wrote:
> Alex Brands <abbrands at> wrote:
> > I have been doing some 2-hybrid experiments, and I would like to do
> > Western Blot analyses to determine if the fusion proteins are being made.
> > To do this I need antibodies to the Gal4BD and Gal4AD.  Clontech sells
> > these, but they charge $225 for an amount sufficient to do 10 blots.  This
> > seems very expensive compared to other antibodies I have priced.
> In addition to the rather high price the BD antibody is less than optimal
> (politicaly correct phrase used) - avoid it if you can.
> Which vectors do you use for your experiments? At least the fish vector
> should contain a tag (e.g. HA).

I'm using the pBD-GAL4 Cam phagemid vector from Stratagene, and the
pGAD424 vector from Clontech.  The maps show no tag.

I found another source, Santa Cruz Biotechnology, who sell GAL4 antibodies
for less than 1/10th the price Clontech charges.

YEAST bionet newsgroup see:
YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at
YEAST on the WWW: