GFP background reduction

Michael J Conboy conboymj at Stanford.EDU
Sun May 28 16:45:32 EST 2000

It would help if you would describe the specific background you are
experiencing.  Pre-empting that, here are some things that worked for me:

- Supplement ade2 stains with twice the adenine used in synthetic medium.
Add adenine to rich medium also. (Reduces vacuolar broad-spectrum

- Pass cultures while still in log phase growth, and examine cultures
while in early log.  (Reduces vacuolar, and some smaller, yellow-green,
punctate autofluorescence).

- Reduce both the field diameter and intensity of your excitation
illumination, if practical.

- Reduce expression of your GFP construct, if practical.  (Reduces
non-specific localization and potential fluorescence from
partially-degraded or cleaved GFP fusion protein, or so I suppose).

- Use a different strain background.  I found the YPH and SEY6211 strains
to have a lot of vacuolar autofluorescence, which was fortunately quite
manageable by adenine supplementation, and little other autofluorescence.
An SF838-xxx strain gave a punctate, peripheral, dim yellow-green
fluorescence, which was reduced in early-log cells.  A DBY4974 strain
(ADE2) appered to have very low background across the spectrum.

- Use a filter set with a narrow-band excitation filter at the higher
excitation frequencies, and a narrow band-pass emitter.

Hope this helps,
Mike Conboy
Cyert Lab,
Dept. Biological Sciences

In article <8grkmg$9pn$1 at>,
Liam Good  <good at> wrote:
>Any advice on how to reduce background autofluorescence when using GFP as
>a reporter in yeast?

YEAST bionet newsgroup see:
YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at
YEAST on the WWW: