help with invertase assay

Alex Brands abbrands at
Fri Nov 10 14:24:08 EST 2000

Hello all,

I am trying to do invertase assays in lab, but I'm having a problem with
the sucrose.  The problem is that the sucrose is contaminated with
glucose.  Since the assay is suposed to measure how much glucose is
liberated from sucrose, this is a big problem as it gives me a very high
background signal.  I tried sucrose from other labs, and they all have the
same problem.

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to make a glucose free sucrose
solution?  My first option right now is to treat the sucrose solution with
glucose oxidase and catalase, but I'm hoping there is a simpler way.

Alex Brands
Washington University

YEAST bionet newsgroup see:
YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at