basic yeast information

SLF notmyaddress at
Thu Oct 19 12:05:22 EST 2000

you know how we often get posts from people asking  consumer-yeast
questions, or from school students about making yeast grow?

Consider referring them to
which includes a free handbook at
about using yeast in cooking, including experiments to show how it
grows, etc. These would be suitable for school students.

By the way, elsewhere on the redstar site there are some nice-sounding
recipes.  :-)

Further--inquiring minds may want to know.  Yes, we have made bread AND
beer with pombe. We don't recommend the beer, but the bread was very

It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.
S L Forsburg, PhD  Associate Professor
Molecular Biology and Virology Lab
The Salk Institute, La Jolla CA