Heteroplasmic inheritance?

Michael Andres McMurray mmcmurra at u.washington.edu
Mon Feb 5 22:12:28 EST 2001

I have made the following observations: performing pedigree analysis on my
diploid rho+ strain yields rho+ buds for the first few divisions, then
many mothers begin to produce rho- buds.  However, in many instances the
mother can still produce subsequent rho+ buds, suggesting that the mother
cell retains wildtype mtDNA and either is heteroplasmic or is not
partitioning mtDNA to daughter cells efficiently.

I know pedigree analysis has been done extensively on diploid zygotes made
by mating rho+ and rho- haploids in order to examine the segregation of
the mtDNAs.  Has anyone done similar experiments on
"existing" rho+ diploids?  The only reference I know of is from James, et
al Mutation Research 30:199-208 (1975), which says sort of the opposite of
a haploid strain with a high rate of rho- formation: there is a high
incidence of rho- daughters formed in the first few generations, which
stabilizes in later generations.

Thanks for any leads or ideas,
Michael

---