Positions available

Steve Sturley sls37 at columbia.edu
Tue Jan 9 15:03:00 EST 2001

I currently have two vacancies in my laboratory.  One at the postdoctoral
level, one at the technician level.   Starting date is ASAP.  I would
greatly appreciate if you could circulate the enclosed information to any
individuals you could recommend.  Alternatively, contact me directly.

Two positions are available in the laboratory of Dr. Stephen L. Sturley at
Columbia University, New York.  Position 1 is at the level of postdoctoral
fellow and requires a Ph.D/MD, with experience in molecular biology and
preferably but not essentially some knowledge of yeast genetics or lipid
metabolism.  The successful candidate will work on a project studying one
aspect of our studies lipid homeostasis; identification and analysis of
novel genes involved in neutral lipid biosynthesis (DGAT), sterol transport
(ARV1) or neuro-degeneration (Niemann Pick type C disease).  Position 2
(Technician B) requires a BS/MS degree with laboratory experience.  Salaries
for both positions are of course commensurate with experience.  Contact
Steve Sturley at (212) 305 6304 or sls37 at columbia.edu for further details.

Literature

Sterol esterification in yeast: a two gene process.  Yang, H., M. Bard, D.A.
Bruner, A. Gleeson, R.J. Deckelbaum, G. Aljinovic, T.M. Pohl, R. Rothstein
and S.L. Sturley. (1996) Science, 272:1353

Characterization of two human genes encoding acyl coenzymeA-cholesterol
acyltransferase related enzymes.  Oelkers, P., Behari, A., Cromley, D.,
Billheimer, J.T, Sturley, S.L. (1998) J. Biol. Chem. 273:26765-26771

A lecithin cholesterol acyltransferase like gene mediates diacylglycerol
esterification in yeast. (2000) Oelkers, P., A. Tinkelenberg, N. Erdenitz,
D. Cromley, J.T. Billheimer, and S.L. Sturley.  J.Biol.Chem. 275:15609-12

Tinkelenberg, A., Y. Liu, F, Alcantara, S. Khan, M. Bard and S.L Sturley.
Mutations in yeast ARV1 alter intracellular sterol distribution and are
complemented by human ARV1. (2000) J. Biol. Chem. 275:40667-40670

--
Steve Sturley
Institute of Human Nutrition
E-mail; sls37 at columbia.edu