alpha-amino adipate media

jthompson at jthompson at
Tue Jan 30 17:03:19 EST 2001

I would like to know if anyone can provide me with some assistance in preparing
alpha-amino adipate plates.  I've used FOA for many years, but alpha-aa is new
to me.  I have a recipe (I believe it's from a "Methods in...", but it's just a
photocopy of a single page that I was given years ago), but there are some
details that I'm a bit unclear on.  My grad student had considerable trouble
getting the AA into solution, and it's not clear from the recipe if it can
handle heating or not.  We made the plates at 2.4 g/L (the recipe calls for 2
g/L, but a recent publication recommended the higher dosage).  As it turned out,
the plates caused somewhat slower growth of LYS2+ strain (relative to its lys2-
counterpart), but the selection is certainly not good enough for what we need.
Does increasing the concentration help leaky selection at all, or is this a
common strain-dependent problem?

If anyone can provide a detailed media protocol, suggestions, or thoughts on
this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Thompson
Assistant Professor of Biology
Georgian Court College