CHEF results for S. cerevisiae

Jackson, John C. JohnC.Jackson at anheuser-busch.com
Wed Mar 14 09:56:43 EST 2001

Unfortunately, the CHEF patterns from (non-laboratory) S. cerevisiae strains can
vary widely.  I do a lot of CHEF gels looking at brewing strains, and the
differences between strains really are obvious.  Some strains appear to have
more bands, shifted bands etc.  You're right in that the variable top band is
probably Chr. XII, and chances are, Chr. IV is co-migrating.  By varying some of
the CHEF parameters, you should be able to separate out these two (I may be able
to help you out if need be).  Check out the refs below as some of them deal with
a wide variety of wild strains and how to ID the chromosome bands on CHEF gels.

	Naumov etal. A new family of polymorphic genes in Saccharomyces
cerevisiae: alpha-galactosidase genes MEL1-MEL7.
	Mol Gen Genet. 1990 Oct;224(1):119-28.
	PMID: 1980522
	Naumov et al. Polymeric genes MEL8, MEL9 and MEL10--new members of
alpha-galactosidase gene family in Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
	Curr Genet. 1991 Sep;20(4):269-76.
	PMID: 1657419
Turakainen etal. MEL gene polymorphism in the genus Saccharomyces.
Appl Environ Microbiol. 1993 Aug;59(8):2622-30.
PMID: 8396384

--John C. Jackson, Ph.D

---

YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at net.bio.net