Antibiotics

Alex Grant grant at zoology.ubc.ca
Thu May 24 12:50:25 EST 2001

Hi

I am trying to do a mutation rate experiment on my yeast by looking for
prototrophic colonies on antibiotic plates.  Unfortunately my yeast seems to
be completely resistant to Kanamycin.  I cannot use chloramphenicol,
erythromycin, or oligomycin as these attack the mitochondria (selecting for
petite mutants).  I also need an antibiotic which selects for a dominant
resistance gene so cycloheximide and 5'FOA are no good (I am comparing
different ploidies).  Can anybody suggest an antibiotic that meets these
requirements?  Would Zeocin work, or would resistant colonies be too rare?

thanks

Alex

---

YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at net.bio.net