YPD database

Francis Ouellette francis at cmmt.ubc.ca
Sat Apr 27 02:44:50 EST 2002

On 25 Apr 2002, Mark Solomon wrote:

> Alternatively, where
> would you go if YPD suddenly ceased to exist, MIPS?

NIH does have a competition currently underway for protein sequence
and function database (submission deadline was just last week, see
http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-HG-02-001.html). I'm
not sure if MIPS and others applied to it, but it will provide the
"winner" with lots of funds to curate and enrich the protein database
world (for all organisms, not just yeast), and maybe "they" will build
a public ressource that will negate the need for YPD?

Incyte owns YPD and they can charge what ever they like for it -- it's
their choice, not yours. There is nothing proprietery there that
prevents them from doing that. They are not a public service and
they have no obligations to the yeast community. You can decide (as a
group, or as individuals) not to purchase it. I assume that that
action may have some weight, but then again, I know that a number of
companies will buy (have bought) this product, and maybe that revenue
is all that Incyte needs.

Not sure we can do very much for the next few months until we know
what NIH will do, and who will get funded to the the protein sequence
and function database.

f.

--
| B.F. Francis Ouellette                       francis at cmmt.ubc.ca |
| Director, Bioinformatics Core Facility       Tel: (604) 875-3815 |

> Date: 25 Apr 2002 19:33:26 +0100
> From: Mark Solomon <Mark.Solomon at Yale.edu>
> To: yeast at net.bio.net
> Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.yeast
> Subject: YPD database
>
> Now that Incyte has bought the YPD database from Proteome, it seems
> they're about to try getting something for their purchase.
> Specifically, beginning June 1, they will charge $2000 PER PI for
> continued access.  At least initially, there will be no site licenses
> and no possibility to pay-per-use.  They'll bundle YPD with a number
> of other databases, though only a couple will be of particular
> interest to any lab.  This fee seems outrageous, particularly for
> small labs or labs that only dabble with yeast.  I was wondering if
> there are any attempts to organize a protest.  Alternatively, where
> would you go if YPD suddenly ceased to exist, MIPS?  Thanks much.
>
> Mark Solomon

---

YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at net.bio.net