strange?

SLF notmyaddress at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:56:28 EST 2002

>  Jenny writes:
>
> Hi, I was wondering if any of you has ever seen a phenotype that I can
> only describe as clumping. The yeast that I have mutated grow slowly,
> and grow in large clumps - almost as if daughter cells don't detatch
> from mother cells. The clumps can get very large - even be macroscopic
> in the culture flask. The yeast are not a strange shape nor have other
> obvious structural change that might point to problems in the
> cytoskeleton. If fact they are perfectly round, and happy, except
> having a longer doubling period. If anyone has seen this phenotype
> before or could point me to a source where different mutations and
> corresponding phenotypes are listed, I would be very greatful.

This phenotype sounds like flocculation. Normally, this happens when cells
are mating, because the mating process causes the expression of agluttinins on the
surface o the cells that make them stick to their partners.

Other mutations that affects cell wall etc sometimes have this phenotype.  Sometimes
it is just there.

Kinda cool to look at.

--
-susan

Help me raise money for leukemia research!
http://pingu.salk.edu/~forsburg/TNT.html

:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;
Use the one below, replacing AT with @
S L Forsburg, PhD  Associate Professor