SLF notmyaddress at
Thu Jan 31 13:56:28 EST 2002

>  Jenny writes:
> Hi, I was wondering if any of you has ever seen a phenotype that I can
> only describe as clumping. The yeast that I have mutated grow slowly,
> and grow in large clumps - almost as if daughter cells don't detatch
> from mother cells. The clumps can get very large - even be macroscopic
> in the culture flask. The yeast are not a strange shape nor have other
> obvious structural change that might point to problems in the
> cytoskeleton. If fact they are perfectly round, and happy, except
> having a longer doubling period. If anyone has seen this phenotype
> before or could point me to a source where different mutations and
> corresponding phenotypes are listed, I would be very greatful.

This phenotype sounds like flocculation. Normally, this happens when cells
are mating, because the mating process causes the expression of agluttinins on the
surface o the cells that make them stick to their partners.

Other mutations that affects cell wall etc sometimes have this phenotype.  Sometimes
it is just there.

Kinda cool to look at.

Help me raise money for leukemia research!

Use the one below, replacing AT with @
S L Forsburg, PhD  Associate Professor
The Salk Institute, La Jolla CA
"These are my opinions.  I don't have