Postdoc positions available- checkpoint control

Matthew O'Connell matthew.oconnell at mssm.edu
Tue Nov 19 17:07:47 EST 2002

Postdoctoral Fellowships DNA Damage Checkpoint Control Positions are
available for highly motivated people to join the group of Dr Matthew
O¹Connell and study G2 checkpoint signalling through the Chk1 protein
kinase. Available projects are part of a larger effort within the lab
that studies checkpoint signalling at the G2/M transition. Our
laboratory widely uses fission yeast as a model for gene and pathway
discovery, and these findings then direct experiments in mammalian
systems. The projects below build on a body of data from an ongoing
effort within the laboratory to dissect Chk1 in the fission yeast
system. Regulation and function of Chk1 in human cells: From our
studies in fission yeast, we have identified a number of proteins that
either modulate Chk1 function, or are themselves targets of Chk1.
Human homologs of these proteins have been identified, and we now aim
to use molecular, biochemical and cell biological approaches to
investigate the functional interactions between these and human Chk1.
Through extensive mutagenesis of Chk1 in fission yeast we have
generated a library of mutations that either inactivate or
constitutively activate Chk1. Several of these have been shown to
function similarly when introduced into Human Chk1, and will be
important tools in these experiments. Chk1 as a target for anti-cancer
therapy: Studies in vitro implicate Chk1 as a prime target for
anti-cancer therapies. From a number of different approaches to block
Chk1 activation, there is evidence for a synergy with common tumor
mutations in promoting cell death. This project will further explore
this approach, and define tumor genotypes most susceptible to
anti-Chk1 based therapies. Experiments will be carried out both in
culture and in primary animal tumor models. Our lab has recently
relocated from Australia to Mt Sinai School of Medicine, located on
Manhattans Upper East Side. Successful candidates should have relevant
experience and will receive competitive salary support and housing
assistance. Please email you CV and details for at least three
referees, or email for further details to: matthew.oconnell at mssm.edu
-- Matthew J. O¹Connell, Ph.D. Mount Sinai School of Medicine Derald
H. Ruttenberg Cancer Center One Gustave L. Levy Place - Box 1130 New
York, New York 10029

matthew.oconnell at mssm.edu

YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at net.bio.net