Mitochondrial Targeting

Maria Costanzo maria at genome.stanford.edu
Fri Nov 22 09:22:29 EST 2002

Hi Ben,

The presequence of the COX4 gene, encoding subunit IV of cytochrome c
oxidase, has been used repeatedly to target proteins to the
mitochondrial matrix. One of the first such studies was:

Hurt EC, Pesold-Hurt B, Suda K, Oppliger W, Schatz G.	The first twelve
amino acids (less than half of the pre-sequence) of an imported
mitochondrial protein can direct mouse cytosolic dihydrofolate
reductase into the yeast mitochondrial matrix. EMBO J. 1985
Aug;4(8):2061-8. PMID: 2998781.

Hope this is helpful!
Maria

Maria C. Costanzo, Ph.D.
Senior Scientific Curator, Saccharomyces Genome Database
Department of Genetics
Stanford University School of Medicine
Stanford, CA 94305-5120
Phone: 650-725-8956