Help with enzymes

PMyers country_prospect at
Mon Apr 7 00:16:50 EST 2003

Greetings All,
    I am unsure if I am posting in the right newsgroup or not, but I am
trying to help out a client who has a large supply of both Manitol and
Sorbitol he would like converted - at least partially - into alcohol. The
alcohol is not for consumption, therefore need not be food grade. I
understand that to convert these complex sugars my client would need to add
specific enzymes not normally associated with S. cerevisiae. I was hoping
someone on this newsgroup may be able to inform me which enzymes, if any,
were capable of breaking down Manitol and Sorbitol into Glucose and Fructose
so they may be readily fermented.
    Thanking you in advance.

Peter Myers
The Country Brewer
3/36 Stoddart Road
Prospect, NSW, 2147
country_prospect at

YEAST bionet newsgroup see:
YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at
subscribe:   mailto:biosci-server at and say: subscribe yeast
unsubscribe: mailto:biosci-server at and say: unsubscribe yeast
YEAST on the WWW:
Newsgroup Moderator SGD Curators: yeast-biosci-moderator at