Question on growth of S. cerevisae on different sugars

Joaquin Royo joaquin.royo at
Wed Apr 23 04:58:26 EST 2003

Hi, I am currently working with a plant promoter that I suspect is induced in response to sugars. I have it cloned in S. cerevisae, strain MaV203, controlling the lacZ gene and I would like to test in this system its inducibility in response to several sugars in the medium. SD medium contains glucose 2% (w/v) and I intend replacing glucose with other sugars as fructose, sucrose and mannitol with the same molar concentrations or in a range of concentrations. Do you think S. cerevisae will grow OK with those sugars replacing glucose, or there will be side effects I am unaware of?.
Thank you a lot in advance.

Joaquin Royo
Dpto. Biologia Celular y Genetica
Univ. Alcala
28871 Alcala de Henares (Madrid)
FAX: 34-91-8854799
e-mail: joaquin.royo at

YEAST bionet newsgroup see:
YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at
subscribe:   mailto:biosci-server at and say: subscribe yeast
unsubscribe: mailto:biosci-server at and say: unsubscribe yeast
YEAST on the WWW:
Newsgroup Moderator SGD Curators: yeast-biosci-moderator at