velveteen used for yeast replica plating

S L Forsburg NotMyAddress at
Wed Jan 29 14:44:54 EST 2003

Ah, velveteen.  We don't use velvets, but instead rely on Whatman #1
paper filter circles at 125mM diameter. We use 2 pieces per replica,
straight out of the box (they are sterile), good for multiple
recipient plates then throw out.  PLUS no smelly fermenting velvets
waiting for someone to wash and sterilize!

S.L. Forsburg
MCBL, The Salk Institute
email me at
forsburg AT salk  DOT edu
visit my lab at

These are my opinions.  I don't have time to speak for anyone else!

YEAST bionet newsgroup see:
YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at
subscribe:   mailto:biosci-server at and say: subscribe yeast
unsubscribe: mailto:biosci-server at and say: unsubscribe yeast
YEAST on the WWW:
Newsgroup Moderator SGD Curators: yeast-biosci-moderator at