Already 10 years!

Francis Ouellette francis at bioinformatics.ubc.ca
Wed Jan 29 15:53:41 EST 2003

Dear Yeasters,

10 years ago the YEAST newsgroup voting process allowed to us start
this new forum of discussion for yeast molecular biology and genetics.
In the summer of 1992, while at the International Yeast meeting in
Austria I collected (on paper :-) some 50 names of people who wanted
to be part of a yeast mailing list/directory (I still have that
historical piece of paper!). From that list I generated a mailing
list of some 100 or so names of people and used them to vote (in
favor :) for the creation of the YEAST newsgroup. In April of 1993
I sent the first message to the YEAST/bionet.molbio.yeast
newsgroup (appended below).

Many things have happened in the yeast world, genomes have been
completed, and many more to come, a few nobel prizes and so forth.
Many of us have moved (a couple of times) to new positions and
SGD, the Saccharomyces Genome Database continues to be a force
and a leading resource in the YEAST community.

Although I am still interested in the biology of Saccharomyces
and other fungi, it is time for me to pass the torch of managing
and moderating this newsgroup to the very able and talented
SGD people. Mike Cherry and his colleagues have taken on the
moderation of this group, and it should have been a
transparent transfer to all of you.

I will (obviously) continue to read with interest the
postings to this group (and even continue to participate) but
please be aware that as of now SGD is moderating the YEAST
newsgroup.

I wish all of you continued success in your research endeavors,
and I know I will continue to meet many of you at scientific
conferences.

All the best to all, and long life to YEAST/bionet.molbio.yeast
under the SGD guidance,

cheers,

f.

--
| B.F. Francis Ouellette             francis at bioinformatics.ubc.ca |
| Director, UBC Bioinformatics Centre          Tel: (604) 875-3815 |