Standard S pombe strains

SLF notmyaddress at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 15 13:41:51 EST 2003

 >  I was wondering whether there are also "general" S. pombe strains
 > which are widely used like there are in S. cerevisiae (e.g. W303
 > etc.) ? If so, could anyone provide me with this strain or tell me
 > how to obtain one ?

S. pombe strains  are all derived from the cannonical 972h- wild type
strain.
Although there are inevitably differences since the derivatives have
been maintained for some time apart from one another,
these strains are  much more closely related than the various Sacch.
strains, which were often independently derived.  Therefore,
we assume that most S. pombe strains in use are reasonably
congenic, and there is no "standard" per se (aside from 972h-, which
being devoid of markers, is not a lot of use!)

Strains with suitable markerse are availabe from the NCYC in the UK
 and the ATCC in the USA, or from agreeable pombe labs.

--
-susan

:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;
Use the one below, replacing AT with @