proposal to change S. cerevisiae gene name

Maria Costanzo maria at genome.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 23 08:07:08 EST 2003

Dear colleagues,

We at SGD would like to propose changing the standard gene name for the
mitochondrial 15S rRNA gene of S. cerevisiae.  In our database, the 15S
rRNA gene is currently known as '15S_RRNA_2'. Obviously, this name is
misleading, since it implies that there is an additional copy of this
unique gene (we've been unable to trace the original reason that the
gene acquired this name in SGD). However, since it has been the
standard name for some time, and has even appeared in a publication, we
need to ask for community consensus before changing it.  We propose
changing it to simply '15S_RRNA'.  If anyone objects to this change,
please contact me as soon as possible. If we do not hear any objections
within the next few weeks, the change will be made.

Best regards,
Maria

Maria C. Costanzo, Ph.D.
Senior Scientific Curator, Saccharomyces Genome Database
Department of Genetics
Stanford University School of Medicine
Stanford, CA 94305-5120
Phone: 650-725-8956