Yeast cell size question

Maria Costanzo maria at
Mon Nov 17 11:48:33 EST 2003

Hi Eleanor,

I can offer one general hint: tetraploid yeast cells are larger than
diploids, and it may be possible to make cells of even higher ploidy. I
did this long ago (~ 15 years!) to facilitate immunofluorescent
detection of a low-abundance protein. Unfortunately I can't remember
the details or references at this point (my own experiment didn't work
so I never published it), but I think it was straightforward to make
the polyploid cells - you just need a lot of markers to select them.

Good luck!

Maria C. Costanzo, Ph.D.
Senior Scientific Curator, Saccharomyces Genome Database
Department of Genetics
Stanford University School of Medicine
Stanford, CA 94305-5120
Phone: 650-725-8956
Fax: 650-723-7016
maria at

On Thursday, November 13, 2003, at 08:14 PM, wozei wrote:

> Hi all,
> does any one have an idea how I could make my yeast [S. cerevisiae]
> grow to at
> least 5-10 micron size or greater for an experiment I need to carry
> out with
> individual yeast cells? Suggestions about media, temperature, etc. are
> welcome.
> Eleanor.

YEAST bionet newsgroup see:
YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at
subscribe:   mailto:biosci-server at and say: subscribe yeast
unsubscribe: mailto:biosci-server at and say: unsubscribe yeast
YEAST on the WWW:
Newsgroup Moderator SGD Curators: yeast-biosci-moderator at