Yeast cell size question

Maria Costanzo maria at genome.stanford.edu
Mon Nov 17 11:48:33 EST 2003

Hi Eleanor,

I can offer one general hint: tetraploid yeast cells are larger than
diploids, and it may be possible to make cells of even higher ploidy. I
did this long ago (~ 15 years!) to facilitate immunofluorescent
detection of a low-abundance protein. Unfortunately I can't remember
the details or references at this point (my own experiment didn't work
so I never published it), but I think it was straightforward to make
the polyploid cells - you just need a lot of markers to select them.

Good luck!
Maria

Maria C. Costanzo, Ph.D.
Senior Scientific Curator, Saccharomyces Genome Database
Department of Genetics
Stanford University School of Medicine
Stanford, CA 94305-5120
Phone: 650-725-8956