what does it mean?

Mike Cherry cherry at genome.stanford.edu
Mon Sep 8 23:28:11 EST 2003

The biosci server appears to remove some required part of the special
characters you used.  I believe you are asking what the delta symbol
means in a yeast genotype description.  The delta symbol means
deletion, so yes the TRP1 gene would be mutant.

SGD has a page about nomenclature.  Of particular interest is the "gene
nomenclature guide".  Its a PDF file from Trends in Genetics.  Fred
Sherman also has a nice web site of information, see chapter 6 on
Genetic Nomenclature:

http://dbb.urmc.rochester.edu/labs/sherman_f/yeast/Cont.html

-Mike

YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at net.bio.net