gene knock-out in pombe

Wen Song wensong at
Tue Jan 27 13:34:18 EST 2004

I am trying to knock-out a gene in pombe. However, I don't have enough experiecne to work with
diploid. Thanks a lot for Forsburg's pombeweb, I learned a lot of from there. However, I still
have some questions.

1. What is a good diploid to use for gene knock-out?
2. Can I avoid doing tetrad analysis (there is no equipment or technical know-how around) even if
my gene is essential? Can I just do a radom spores and check for my selection marker, say Ura4, to
see if my gene is essential?
3. Is there a detailed protocol I can follow?

I really appreciate your input and advics.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Wen Song

YEAST bionet newsgroup see:
YEAST e-mail: messages sent to yeast at
subscribe:   mailto:biosci-server at and say: subscribe yeast
unsubscribe: mailto:biosci-server at and say: unsubscribe yeast
YEAST on the WWW:
Newsgroup Moderator SGD Curators: yeast-biosci-moderator at