[Yeast] Pulse-Field Gel Electrophoresis Equipment

David Bonfil david.bonfil at weizmann.ac.il
Wed Jul 27 03:34:59 EST 2005

Dear all

WE are using the pulse field gel electrophoresis equipment from BioRad .
We are trying to measure the size of linear BAC (bacterial artificial
chromosome) according to Lambda marker . At first , the size of the BAC
according to the marker   was smaller than we accepted .
Next , we added a control BAC as a marker and run the Pulse field again
with the lambda marker .
Again the marker did not indicated to the right size .
We tried to run all the samples in a different Pulse field equipment .
The results were completely different from the two first trials . Still
the marker run in a different format but in the right position
according to the  BAC marker .
After a long story my question is :
Why the marker runs differently ,and by that i mean , in one apparatus
the right way and the other not even remotely close to the right size
of the BAC marker?
David Bonfil,PhD
Department of Molecular Genetics
Weizmann Institute of Science